Sunday 31 October 2021

Oh! We Brutes - The Kingdom of Animals


 The journey of this book started in 2012 with a few dialogues between Chingu and the monster bear (read on page 26) that I narrated to my son, Krishi, who was approaching his first birthday.  My son, who could hardly speak tried to repeat the words “Oh! We Brutes”. I cherished that moment so much that I decided to write a book with the same title and present it to him, by the time he could read it by himself.

Initially, I started working on it, but as time passed, I became busy with my research work for my Ph.D. In 2016, when I submitted my thesis to the University, I revealed my dream of ‘gifting a book’ to my son. A few months later, on my birthday, the little boy of five years then, took his father to a stationery shop and bought me a notebook to pen down all the stories I would like to include in this book.

From that day, whenever, I told him any story, he would ask me if it was a part of ‘Oh! We Brutes’ and if I said ‘yes’, he would run for the book and a pen or a pencil and force me to write it down, before I would forget it.

Indeed, it was his continuous interest in this book that kept me going. I completed this book in 2018 and since then, I have been sending it to some traditional publishers. Some did not reply while some rejected to publish it.

Therefore, I chose Notion Press to Self Publish my book. I am grateful to Notion Press for providing the platform for bringing out the print edition of my book. The book is already available as an E-Book on Google Play Books since April, 2020.

The front cover, back cover and other pictures in the book are photos of soft toys and other animal toys of my son. I used the Forest Photo Editor app for editing these photos.

This book is my long pending gift for my son Krishi. My son, ten years old, has contributed a small story ‘Chingu and the Cyclone’ on page no. 67 in the chapter ‘Literary Festival’.

 

Annapurna Krishjeev

No comments:

Post a Comment

Telangana Happy Dasara

I had made this specially for Dasara depicting Telangana state symbols Tangendu poolu,  Jinka,  Shammi or Jammi chettu and  Palapitta with a...